Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Wildlife Biology and Climate Change

For years, I have wanted to pursue a career in wildlife biology and conservation. I love nature and wildlife so much that I have a hard time calling my future in this field a "career", because it is truly more like a dream come true. However, that dream is fading and I watch my future slowly disappear as climate change is taking a hold of our planet. With the pace at which climate change is occurring, my objects of study are disappearing and dying and this is not okay with me nor should it be with anyone else.

With the effects of climate change biomes will disappear, current biomes will shift in geographic location along with every single living thing that exists in each biome. Species will suffer due to habitat loss and limited resources. This just absolutely breaks my heart as someone who is so in love with wildlife and hopes to study it for the entirety of the rest of my life. Recently, The Wildlife Society dicussed climate change and adaptation as one of their Hot Issues and included it in their Policy Priorities. Some more of their Policy Priorities include Endangered Species Recovery, Strategic Conservation Planning and Energy Development and Wildlife.

In my future as a wildlife biologist I hope to be able to enjoy the environment I'm working in and help spread awareness of climate change. Being a working person in that field it will be vital to my work to educate others in the public on the importance of protecting, preserving, and conserving the beauty and health of our planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment